Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Media Mass

As I sat here writing out my workout schedule for the week, I was simultaneously trying to figure out what I should blog about considering media matrixes. But then it donned on me, media makes you fat.

Media is requiring less and less physical interactivity and time to produce and communicate effectively. As an artist, I used to have to cut wood, and nail it together to build a frame, cut canvas and stretch it across the wooden planks, securing each corner and then attaching the canvas along the edges of the frame, then I would have to coat at least a couple of times with primer, wait for it to dry, and then apply paint. The picture had to be planned somewhat meticulously in pencil, charcoal, and pastel drafts because one mistake could mean hours of reworking at best, or at worst throwing the whole piece out. Conversely, working with Illustrator or Photoshop takes that same process and minimizes it to a few flicks of the wrist, mistakes can be undone instantaneously; there’s virtually no physical interaction at all. And now, my interaction with media necessitates going to the gym to fill in that extra physical activity that the machine has removed, or risk ending up looking like Jabba the Hutt.

And if media continues to evolve the way it has been, there will be even less physical activity. If a mind/computer interface is developed, then we can just think about moving our mouse and it will go; we could in fact never have to move again. We’ll never have to open a book, press play on the remote control, go to the bathroom, well that one may take some creative technological innovation, but we can do it! In the end we can just sit there as massive gelatin blobs, fulfilling our every desire with technological interface.

Yeah! That’s the life for me!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I shudder to think the pictures you had to sift through to find that one, Stephen the Hutt.