Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I am the meduim

My physical relationship with media/my media matrix.

Within my everyday life I physically come in contact with several different types of media and even though many of these media forms are very separate they are all interconnected. In this blog I intend to show how all of my media is connected, hopefully illustrating through the written word what my diagram on the white board presented visually. At the center of everything is always “me,” who I am is a very constant thing and even though I have changed steadily through out the years, just as the media I utilize has, there are something that have remained the same.
My body has always been my primary medium, every since I was a small child, how I presented myself was something I that I put a lot of time and effort into. I have always wanted to have some control over how I was perceived and surprisingly through out the years, I have had the same ideal for myself. With my clothing, piercings, hair color/style, and make-up I try to express how I am feeling about myself and my life at that point. This has been a successful medium for me, and I will continue to use it as a way to express myself.
Building on my appearance, running is also a form of expression for me. In my mind I see the runner as a person who is physically and mentally strong, not to mention graceful. When I run I focus on my strength and how it relates to the rest of my life. Again my body becomes my medium and connects me with another; music. When I am running music is my outlet. It allows me to think and keep pace. In this way I feel as though I am once again connected to the medium, my pace and the beat of the music connect making my MP3 player (which is not an Ipod!) a necessity. My MP3 player connects me to my computer, which in turn connects me to the internet and my education (we all know that we would be lost in graduate school with out our laptops). My education connects me to the world, it is the gateway, the creation of desire.
I guess media is something that accents my life, it doesn't run it. I don't understand people who are consumed with media, because to me that isn't a life. When asked how media has impacted my life, I picture this large computer hitting me like an astroid hitting the earth and this has never really happened. In the end I am the meduim, everything else is just decoration and tools.

No comments: