Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Katie's First Conference

Overall, I found the Social Media Conference last Tuesday to be a nice introduction into the world of academic conferences: not too big, not too scary, and a chance to present with other people.
I had the chance to go to the speaker immediately before our class presentation, who talked about Second Life. I had never heard of Second Life before, but after listening to the talk i felt that I was already familiar with the concept of the program. Once I realized that it sounded a lot like the Sims (which I have never played, but have heard enough about to feel like I know something about it) I was a little unimpressed. Personally, the idea of living in an online world (beyond facebook) does not interest me. I was interested in the pedagogical applications of the program, but was disappointed that that angle didn't get discussed more.
I felt that our class roundtable went well. I was a little surprised in the number of people in the audience (but I didn't really know what to expect). I think that I did a good job explaining my project to the group; it was nice to be able to share what I had been working on with others who would appreciate it for its potential. I was kind of disappointed that there weren't any questions (for anyone), but with five people in a short block of time I guess it can be expected.

No comments: